1) Comment on high traffic blogs with a link back to your site. Leave comments that people would be interested in, such as contributory information that they may have skipped, or are unaware of.
2) Include a link to your website in all your emails.
3) Yahoo answer portal, which is very easy to use and at the same time is effective.
4) Submitting your site to high traffic directories. Time consuming, but necessary.
5) Press Releases to PRWeb.com. and alike.
6) Create an ebook and give it away in return for an email address to add to your mailing list.
9) Write compelling articles about your industry and post in article directories, as they are viewed by many people, who are interested in the topic.
10) Opt-in email addresses from your website and splash pages.
11) Simply ask viewers to bookmark your website, because that way you can provide them with important information, thus further promoting your site.
12) Post ads on Craigslist.com and alike.
13) Buying Ad credits from Pay Per Click networks like Google Ad Sense could also boost your traffic, but it depends on the key words you use to gain viewers.
14) You could also ask for recommendations from other site owners. It is a good idea to get listed on “recommended resources pages.” If you get recommended by the target market, you could attract more traffic to your site.
15) Affiliate programs is another great way to generate traffic. You could increase sales by offering commission on your products and services. Gaining profit from traffic is a great way to increase the value of your site.
Please feel free to add more in the comments section.