Startup Texas is looking for enthusiastic, hard-working, and committed interns. Interns can come from a wide range of interests and majors, but should be committed to entrepreneurship, civic engagement, and be interested in working hard to support the mission of Startup Texas and the Startup America Partnership. We offer internships in Dallas, but interns will focus on initiatives all over the state.
Interns are an important part of the Startup America Partnership team and are immediately given independence and responsibility. Interns will provide administrative support managing our database and contacts and will complete office tasks to support staff members. Interns may also be asked to complete special projects and provide support for Startup Texas events. While interns will work with regional leadership in all areas of the Startup America Partnership, they may be assigned to one of the following fields:
Communications: Interns working in communications will provide support to the communications director and staff members. Work will include support with social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and our website. Assignments may include blogging, and tracking of promoted articles and news sources. Communications interns will also be responsible for press clippings each week. Interns working in communications should be strong writers and speakers.
Partnerships: Interns working on partnerships will work closely with Startup America Partnership staff members working on our relationships with firms both sponsoring and providing resources to the Startup America Partnership. Much of the work will include focusing on correspondence and participating in conference calls with partner firms, maintaining the database of partners, and completing projects as directed by partnerships staff members.
Marketing: Interns working on startup regions will work with leaders from across the state in order to help build strong startup communities. Work will include assisting in the evaluation of the status of current membership, research and identifying best practices from vibrant communities, sources of collaboration and information channels, PR and social media support for launches and ongoing programs, tracking the progress of Startup Texas membership, and participating in conference calls to facilitate the growth of the community.
Website/Platform: Interns working on website and platform development will work closely with Startup Texas leadership to help maintain and improve our website and platform where entrepreneurs can find the resources we offer.
- Undergraduate and graduate college students.
- Ability to commit at least 10 hours per week (flexible structure, either broken out into 2 or 3 days per week).
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills is a must, as successful candidate will work both internally with Startup Texas and Startup America Partnership colleagues; and externally with entrepreneurs from across the state.
- Interest in and ability to work in both a team environment and alone with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated personal computer skills, including basic troubleshooting and use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the willingness to learn other software tools.
- Demonstrated use and comfort navigating Web 2.0 sites and tools, including blogs, social networks, video and photo sharing, etc.
- Interest in supporting entrepreneurs and the spirit of entrepreneurship in the United States.
Compensation: Internships with the Startup Texas are unpaid.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Trey Bowles at Trey.Bowles@startuptexas.co. In your cover letter please specify which days you are available to work (if you know) and which department you would be most interested in working. Any questions can be directed to Trey at the above email address, or via phone at 214.659.1620 . Fall 2012 applications is currently being accepted. The deadline for applications will be Dec. 15, 2012. Applications after the deadline will be accepted on a rolling basis as space allows.
PDF of internship description Startup Texas Internship.